15 April, 2005

The Golden Lion...

Click for a larger image...
...was the scene of a terrible crime today...namely LUNCH...back a month or two ago, "MP" (who has since gone to work for "Marketing Week"), "Torquay Slag" and myself stumbled across this particular watering hole..just to set the scene, the place is decorated beautifully, holds treasures like this -
Click for a larger image...
- has a wide selection of excellent beers and wines, has a chilled out barman who makes his own mix CDs from legally downloaded music (which are rather good), and also, at the time, used to do rather good food. I once had an excellent stew there, the person serving me proudly told me it was an eastern european recipe, which had been aged for a couple of days to really get the flavours working together, it came served with a creamy mash and a warm beetroot marmalade, which was quite exquisite...todays little number (oh how foolish I was to select the beef stew from the menu, just look at the colour!) -
Click for a larger image...
- might as well have come out of a tin. Tiny stringy bits of beef, I counted 3 bits of carrot and I think that was about all the veg that was in there, and to top it all, it arrived at the table little more than tepid, I really should have sent it back to the kitchen...

"Time Based Bulk" ordered another real winner, the beef burger, served with chips and a side salad. No joke, it looked like it came out of a Birds Eye packet, there was no way that (and the roll) didn't fall limply off a production line and straight onto the grill...oh how the mighty have fallen. I won't be going back...

Update - Apparently in recent months the place has been adopted by the gay community, just hope they have improved the food... >;P

No comments: