25 January, 2007

Oyster Card top up

Snow #3
Back into London again today, snowed a bit overnight, but not as much as yesterday (the salt I put on the path defeated whatever flakes tried to land there), scraped the car down (running very low on deicer spray) and then huddled in the ticket office at Earlswood station to try and keep warm. The train, which was on time, was boiling hot, but I couldn't be bothered to strip off layers, so I just put up with it, got to London Bridge and following Flyingpops observation that there was a machine in the underground that had a big sign saying "Top up your Oyster card here" upon it, I descended on the escalator...I found said machine near the ticket office (past all the cute little food shops in the tunnel) and waiting my turn I whipped out my cards and examined the twenty or so icons on the screen...could I work out how to just put ten quid onto it? None of the options seemed appropriate, so after a few minutes sweating, pushing buttons and looking stupid I just hit cancel and let the next person in the small queue that had formed behind me bussle past (giving me a filthy look)...it was only afterwards that I realised that these machines are probably for the other kind of Oyster card, the ones that just mimick a season ticket...duh...!

Anyway, the smiling ticket lady that served me at the window managed to add me some credit just fine, but I think I'll stick to the newsagents in the Celedonian road in future (much less hassle)...

No comments: