15 June, 2010

Parent and Child Parking

Tesco Parent and Child Parking
One of the very pleasant aspects of parenthood is the "Parent and Child" space, not only are the slots about twice the normal size (to facilitate both parking of "family size" brick-like vehicle and careful transfer of infant to pram) but they are also (typically) right next to the supermarket entrance...in the case of Tesco at Hookwood (our local), they are actually even nearer the entrance than the disabled bays (which, thinking about it, actually seems a little bit wrong)...Only two things ruin it - twats like this - and principally because of the proximity of this particular store to Gatwick airport (literally a stone's throw) a large number of both disabled bays and parent and child spots always seem to end up being eaten up by catatonic taxi drivers - although why they don't just park in a normal spot is beyond me...

Honestly, I really don't know how people have the nerve, it simply wouldn't occur to me to take up a space reserved for a struggling Mum or Dad if I didn't have a child in the car, but obviously some people are just ***** (you are free to choose your own expletive)...

I think Tesco should police it, slap fines or clamps on offenders, or have an attendant (like they do at Waitrose in Dorking)...

8 comments:

Ys said...

Hehe you should speak to my mother about these parking spaces. She hates them. She always asks if she can use them cos she has three children.

I guess it depends how you're raised and how well you cope with having children/bundling them around the place. My mother was always very strong and independent and just took us wherever she wanted and never asked for help from anyone (to this day she won't ask for help ;D). So you just use what's there, which in her day was "normal" parking spaces.

I personally think they're a whole waste of time to me. I don't need to park right by the door of the supermarket, so I'd be happy to park up the back out the way and argue with the children and all the luggage that goes with them where there are less cars. If you do need them, there's always plenty of spaces there in my local supermarkets.

Anonymous said...

I have no wish to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, so let's just say the feeling is mutual.

Anonymous said...

Or because you know you are in the wrong... :)

Unknown said...

Haha... ;)

Laura said...

The last few times I have been to Tesco's, I've loudly and obviously commented on the fact that a beaten up white van with fat workmen getting out of it doesn't really constitute 'parent and child', and received some horrified looks, but I'm not afraid to voice my opinions!

Incidentally, that's my local too, and you're right, there are some right idiotic people that park in idiotic ways and places...really bugs me!

Sarah said...

Sadly there are not always available P&C spaces at Tesco Hookwood and I do disagree that they are a whole waste of time. However I think it's daft having them right by the door though as that is why so many *twunts* who shouldn't park in them do so. Lazy SoB's. And yes we could park at the back of the carpark where there are more spaces but what are you meant to do when some moron parks hard up against your car and you can't physically get your baby back in it? Wait til the moron returns or leave your baby in the trolley while you pull your car forward (assuming you can shoehorn yourself inside)? Neither option is ideal to me. I guess you can't please everyone in life but we can be considerate. Here endeth the rant.

Anonymous said...

Aljahom - In order to use Parent and Child parking there is but a single prerequisite - a working cock and balls - that is all...

Unknown said...

Oh now that is cutting...But I suppose someone that parks in parent and child without a cock and balls is somewhat deserving... ;)