14 February, 2007

New York Blizzard update

New York in the snow #14
It's getting worse, stepping outside it feels like you are being sprayed at 100 miles an hour with coarse sand, the snow, in places is now piled almost a foot and a half deep, so you have to be *extremely* careful where you tread -
New York in the snow #13
New York in the snow #15
New York in the snow #16
- all manner of machinery is being employed in the futile attempt to keep the sidewalks, streets and avenues clear, and oddly, the traffic is still moving (although only just, lots and lots of skidding and wheel spins involved, plus plenty of people having to stop to clear their windscreen wipers of snow, where they have become overwhelmed or got frozen up) -
New York in the snow #17
- anyway, I walked east as far as I could stand (about 2 blocks!) and found a poetry themed restaurant called the "Broome Street Bar" -
New York in the snow #12
New York in the snow #10
- everyone else having gone for Sushi, which I had been warned to avoid (thanks DJMathu!), I studied the menu for a while, and then ordered the "Knockwurst Chilli Dog" -
New York in the snow #11
- it was *better* than it sounded (and it sounded pretty good!), it's the unexpected combination of flavours that make it work so well, the chilli is normal (mince/kidney beans/spices/onion), the Knockwurst tastes just like a normal hot dog, and the cheese and onion, are, well, cheese and onion, but combine this little lot together (upon a drowned piece of toast) and out of the blue you have something quite extraordinary (and easily recreatable at home)!

I told the guy serving me "This is wonderful, my first time, I'm ashamed to say I'm an American Chilli Dog Virgin"...his reply "Welcome to the real world, man"... ;)

Classic, almost makes up for the appalling weather! ;)

Update - just found out the Americans call this weather "Ice Pellets"...Now I know why everyone has been giving me slightly blank looks when I have been referring to "Hail"...or maybe they do use "Hail" and it's for some meteor-sized super American version...both are a distinct possibility... ;)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey dude, your gonna need a week at a health farm when you get home. I've put on weight just looking at the pix of your grub.

Unknown said...

It's going to be another hotel job tonight I think, not going out in this, never been in a 20 hour hail storm before, 20 minutes maybe...had to walk half a block out of my way to find a bit of pavement without a foot and a half of snow in the way of me and the road too, just crazy! ;)

It's funny, I got back to the office from lunch and was asking "Is this normal", because if this was happening in London everyone would have already started trying to get home (and probably failing), or more likely not bothered to even make an attempt to get into London in the first place...but apparently this is what winter is usually like out here, I just got lucky with the weather up until now...

Forecast is for better weather tomorrow, fingers crossed I can get to Lombardis before I have to come home... ;)

Anonymous said...

aunty & uncle still a little bemused about how your fitting work into your daily blog but hay ho we are really enjoying your trip, we wish you well and wil be desparant to catch up on all the bits you haven't blogged. must book a date for dinner & game plan for colin, Blogged of course no doubt....... enjoy speak soon... any chance of vod coming home?!!!!

Unknown said...

Ah, I have the laptop now, can type anywhere, anytime...and NYC is full of wifi! I can sit on my bed in the hotel room and surf! Awfully civilised... ;)

We'll see what the Vodka fairy can do...(which depends on the Sour Mash fairy of course...) who might kick up a fuss... ;)

Anonymous said...

And this is why New Yorkers love restaurant delivery...this way, we don't have to go outside.

Welcome to winter.