24 February, 2007

DIY - New felt on the shed roof

So after the storms ripped the felt off the shed roof (I *know* it's been ages) all my little repairs finally failed, and at some point a large sheet of felt (about 3 meters long) has managed to totally vanish from the far side of the shed (must have just blown away)! So this morning I got out with my tape measure, a brand new roll of felt, a hammer, my steps and a lot of felt tacks, measured the roof, measured the felt into sections, cut it with some kitchen scissors (which worked best in the end) and (following the instructions) started at the bottom, tacking in at even intervals, overlapping a bit on the ends and folding in neatly (like a Christmas present)...
Fixing Shed Roof #1
...then the same on the other side, finishing off with a final section over the top (more tacks - nails wouldn't do the trick as the felt would just rip off at the next hint of a gust of wind)...
Fixing Shed Roof #2
...and there we go, the jobs a goodun... ;)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's been ages since you built this. How's the DIY roof shed by now? What are you shedding inside it? What material did you use for roofing? I suggest you use metal sheet – it's cheaper, easy to replace and longer lasting.

→ Elizabeth @ RoofProMemphis.com

Unknown said...

Good thinking finally patching the roof. I would have recommended against using tacks though, as they're prone to puckering once the tacks give away. Maybe try using those felt adhesive sprays in order to have a more even and stable felt attachment on that roof.

Beth Vriesman

Unknown said...

I think I'm not the only one who seek for more information about the shed. Hehe! Years have passed already, and I wonder if you considered reroofing the shed instead of keeping the felt permanently. Whatever you're storing in your lovely shed, it should be protected with a durable roof. A metal roof is, indeed, highly advisable. :)

Vernia Kale @ Muth Roofing