30 November, 2005

Podcast review...

...tried a few more out this morning on my way in...

  • Nature podcast (they last about 25 minutes and nutshell what is in each weeks issue with interviews with some of the authours, really interesting stuff with a question and answer interview style, but then I am a bit biased... ;)
  • New Scientist podcast (about 18 minutes long, the two I listened to were definitely being ridden quite hard as marketing vehicles, the interviews seemed to be only with New Scientist staff, and they only covered a fraction of what was going on in the magazine, still alright though, if you can put up with all the "Looking for a great gift idea for this season? How about a New Scientist subscription?")
  • Space.com podcast (again about 18 minutes long, according to their demographics I am typical of their readership and thus their output should appeal to me, however, I found their podcasts to be detail light, full of irrelevent pop-style songs/music (including one extremely sad effort that I am guessing was composed just for the purposes of this broadcast all about how comets are made of frozen dust) and far too long considering the lack of actual information, sorry, but I'm looking for something aimed a little higher, in an intellectual sense...)
  • Radio 7 - Big Toe podcast (whoops, turned out to really be a kids show, but they did interview an astronaught, so I listened to that bit then turned it off)...

If you fancy getting into podcasting, check here for a good "getting started guide" (all you need is an MP3 player, oh and btw - contrary to popular opionion it's nothing to do with either Apple or iPods, it evolved quite separately) and then go here for an index of feeds available...if I find any other good ones I'll let you know... :)

If you fancy a feed manager (I think I'm going to need one!), this is the best one I have played with - Juice - it's free, looks good and is easy to use...

Dunno why I haven't mucked around with this before! It's cool! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spam spam spam...