11 July, 2006

Cory Ondrejka - Speaking today

Well well well, Cory Ondrejka (CTO of Linden Lab) is coming to our office today to give a talk about Second Life! Cool...!

It's attracting quite some interest by the popular press, see recent articles here and here...wikipedia entry here...

Should be rather interesting! ;)

Update - Very cool presentation! Flyingpops is out tonight watching Jools Holland with work at Kew Gardens, so, assuming my creaking graphics card is up to it, I'll spend the evening wandering around "Second Life"...oo-er! ;)
Cory Ondrejka...
(That's him on the left)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's scary and a little sad. But then so is life. I guess I'm close to becoming a cyber being without that. I must get out more.

Unknown said...

One thing that came across really strongly is the benefit for those people with Aspingers or that were Schizophrenic, and (implied admittedly) those disabled people who really couldn't leave the house for physical reasons...Also, from an architechures of participation point of view, this environment encourages creativity unlike anything else in Web 2.0 (some stupid figure like 70% of participants actually create things!)...however, my brief look around tonight lead me to a 4 point observation -

1-There is a lot of empty space
2-The first area I teleported to I was walking around for about 4 minutes before (and there was no-one else there) I got a message asking me to leave
3-It feels like walking through a vast flea market, people have to pay to make unique things, and they want money to share (i.e it's extremely commercial and obviously money driven)
4 - My graphics card isn't up to the job...bah...

Unknown said...

I'll do a proper post on this, as I have more thoughts...It's free to get started Tommo, have a go at it...