Okay, the Met Office issued an official "Heatwave Level 2 Alert" this morning for the Midlands and the South East of England according to the Department of Health website...the BBC have a list of official tips for keeping cool here (most notably - Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink water, by then you are already dehydrated)...
On BBC Breakfast they had an astonishingly good speaker (albeit briefly) - Dr Rosemary Leonard, who listed a few really good suggestions that the beeb failed to post on their site for some reason, so I will list them for you here -
- Open your loft hatch - heat RISES
- If it is hotter outside the house than inside, keep the windows and doors CLOSED
- Freeze a bottle of water and place it in front of your fan for extra cooling
- Heatwaves are NOT the time to sunbathe - stay in the SHADE
All very sensible... ;) I have a couple of my own too -
- Turn off any PCs you aren't using (and any other electrical equipment for that matter)
- Close any curtains that have a white backing material
- Turn off any lights that aren't flourescent or cold cathode in nature
Update - We are up to a level 3, which I am reliably informed is the highest level!! Last time this happened was in 2004, and 65 people died...(most likely all of them on the Thameslink ;)*pant* >;P
Update update - I was wrong, there is a level 4!!