03 June, 2009

Commuting from Oxted

Woken by the sunrise
We're a couple of days in now, so what's it been like commuting from/to Oxted? Well, good and bad actually...my first journey there (on Monday) I managed to pick up the 1808hrs from London Bridge (a fast train, literally stopping at East Croydon and then Oxted), super quick, and the luxury of being able to then just walk for 3 minutes and be at the front door...total bliss...Tuesday morning on the journey in we lucked another fast train, but there were no seats (for me) until East Croydon where about 50% of the people on board flew off to find connections (Flyingpops was able to flash her "Baby on board" badge as soon as she got on board and a kind lady moved for her), so not quite as good in that respect, as there are always seats from Earlswood...the other bad thing is that (as we were last night) if you are late, the trains get rather far apart (like half an hour apart) instead of the excellent rush hour 10 minute gaps between trains, and unlike being able to nip to East Croydon and catch the next Redhill service out of Victoria, with Oxted trains there really is no alternative but to wait...so actual journey, largely much better, as long as we get out reasonably early...

One thing that really bothered me yesterday (and I have no idea how my sister put up with this in the middle of the summer), is that her old room (where we are lodging) has thin white curtains with no backing...at 5am when the sun came up the room got bright extremely quickly - waking me up - at home we have blackout curtains or blackout blinds on all the windows (pretty much) meaning the sun doesn't get a look in until it's allowed, but this morning I actually found myself quite enjoying slowly being woken up by the sun rather than by a blast of (far too early in the morning) pop music from Radio MurkyMercury...the other really nice thing about being based in Oxted town centre is the proximity of the shops and restaurants...we really are out in the sticks at home, having only one small shop within reasonable walking distance...I'd forgotten what it's like to have everything right on the doorstep (not had that since I lived in Dorking)...

Flyingpops is loving it, she prefers the mattress as it's slightly harder than the one at home, meaning she doesn't sink so low and moving around is easier, the bed is also smaller (and in a slightly bigger room) than at home, meaning there is a gap on her side of the bed so she can get up more easily if she needs to in the night, and (of course) we just happen to be surrounded by all the things we have bought for the baby (this is where it is all being stored while we do the decorating) - she sorted out all the baby grows twice last night, while I was watering the garden-
Oxted Garden
- which seemed to take ages, it was actually getting dark by the time I finished, but it's all in a good cause, as Kipperfrog's wedding reception is due to be held there, so we can't let it all wilt while it's our sole responsibility! ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, we have blackout curtains too, trouble is, it's the damned dawn chorus that wakes me up (bless them). I sleep with my earplugs in now. The garden looks lovely by the way, just the job to relax in.

boohoo said...

What a beautiful garden! It takes me ages to water my garden too but only cos the big watering can sprung a leak so I have to use the small one.