16 December, 2008

New Timetable - New Earlswood woes

So yesterday the new Winter timetable came into force, Flyingpops was over the moon as our normal train has now turned into a "fast" train (i.e. it doesn't bother stopping at Merstham/Purley/Coulsdon) getting in 10 minutes earlier, however, I am a bit miffed...first off it's now only 4 coaches (which isn't nearly enough, it came in to Earlswood today "full and standing" and 99% of the time we used to get not only a seat, but also seats together, from the looks of things this is now going to be rather unlikely moving forward), secondly it then wastes much of the advantage of not being a stopping service by adding in a coupling up maneuver at Redhill which also doubles the potential for delays (if one or other bit of the train is running late)...thirdly, and this isn't really a big deal, but I have a slightly more "schmoke and a pancake?" attitude to the commute than Flyingpops, preferring to relax and watch movies/TV or play games, using it as quality recreation time (rather than plugging away on a Blackberry)...now it's about 10 minutes shorter (although don't get me wrong, I like getting into town earlier as the tube is less likely to have got itself into a pickle)...it's just that a whole TV episode used to fit into the commute, and now it doesn't...

Humph...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Ha ha that is funny. I was rather envious of whatever it was you were watching yesterday morning... I was left with my Crackberry to keep me company which isn't a huge amount of fun!
Also, FYI I sat in the luggage rack this morning, like a little gnome, cross legged, plugging away on my laptop. Sad.

¨°º©[ Fink ]©º°¨ said...

Well, it's better than standing, but only just...I was watching the Amzaing Race (missed the last 13 years worth of it and now caught up to year 7 - It's 11 teams of American couples trying to run the globe to win $1000000, it's hugely amusing even if just for their cringe-worthy behaviour) ;)

Flyingpops said...

I managed to squeeze my but into a tiny luggage compartment this morning... although I did worry a little about getting off at London Bridge as my hips got wedged! ;o)