27 January, 2009

I can successfully manipulate time...

I'm not joking, and it's actually rather easy - you may doubt me, so let's first off just consider the facts - we all know that time (albeit in a very small way) can be sped up by moving reasonably quickly (through the experimentally proven fact of "time dilation" - it's not a tricky read, but to summarise) - travel fast and time actually (for you) passes more slowly (this is compared to everyone at rest, or moving more slowly than you)...it's a tiny *weeny* effect (0 mph compared to 600 mph makes a difference only if you are able to measure billionths of a second) unless, that is, you start to approach the speed of light, when it all suddenly becomes deeply serious (mere minutes with the foot on the light speed pedal - a quick nip around the solar system - and when you land your shiny space ship you may find that everyone you ever knew has died of old age!  A big trip and you may return to a new civilization (a few bits of your old life might lay smashed up in a museum somewhere - if you are lucky), or take a wrong turn and the next geological age may await  (i.e. everything you ever knew is gone and the Insect Overlords now rule the Earth)...

Anyway, back to my point, my level of manipulation (while not being as puny as to almost evade an atomic clock, nor as powerful as the Tardis) sits somewhere inbetween - and it's simple and documented too, even though it wasn't penned by Einstein - just borrowed from the long handed-down saying "Time flies when you are having fun"...my theory of perceptual time dilation is flexible too, allowing both speeding up and slowing down of time, and the rates by which they are chained are extremely reliable...

I do it like this - if I want time to *really* slow down then I pick up a book and read (30 minutes of perception then regularly equals about 10 minutes of actual time)...if I want time to be *deleted* (almost immediately), then all I need to do is pick up a game - PSP or DS if I'm on the move, 360 when I'm at home (20 minutes of perception equals (usually) 57 minutes of actual time) and if I want time to run just about normally?  All I do is stick on TV or a movie and time ticks along pleasantly and normally (10 minutes equals 10 minutes)...

So I can (very) effectively control my perception of time just the same as if I had a little temporal remote control, just by varying my behaviour... ;)  I'm sure I'm not the only one, but it's been interesting to measure it... ;)

1 comment:

boohoo said...

I think my time moves pretty much the same speed ;) That bloody xbox has zapped so many hours of my life away hehe... although Oblivion always went by nice and slow, which is weird.