26 September, 2008

Day before our Wedding...

At 1.00 today my brother, Tim will marry Gayle and become the next Mr and Mrs Goodall .... having married Fink angel earlier this year, I really can’t wait...there is so much I need to blog about our wedding, the preparation, share our suppliers with the world, the day itself and the honeymoon (including the dolphin post), but for now, I just want to share with the world the emotions that I was going through, the day before I got married...

The build up and day itself were totally electric and I felt like I was walking on air for weeks – totally untouchable and extremely positive about everything. When Scott arrived, we knew there were only a few days left and I had to force myself to get the beauty sleep to prevent bags under the eyes in the pics! I had gone through the anxiety dreams of the car not turning up, or Fink hurting his knee and was well and truly bouncing off the walls with excitement (think of Tigger and you get the picture). Each dream was filled with such happiness and there were absolutely no doubts in my mind that this would be the start of our next chapter and the best days of our life!

I had lots of fun planning our wedding and had spent hours talking to mum about colours, tables, flowers, dresses, and the tiny detail that when pulled together, really do create the most incredible day. We had hired Oxted community hall for our reception and could only get in at 19.00 the night before, so I handed complete control over to Fink, the best man and my family who turned a fairly standard hall into a shrine of Fink and Net memorabilia (and one of the best receptions I’ve ever been too). I had made everyone a little folder, with photos and descriptions of how to decorate the tables and hall and they went above and beyond my expectations in pulling it all together. In the very early days, I said I wanted our wedding to be personal to us, so every item introduced from favours, to the cake, had a hint of our personalities and had gone through a rigorous analysis to make sure it fitted in with the overall theme... (Including hunting high and low for purple toilet roll!)

So, the day before the wedding... fink and I were up early and went into Redhill to purchase one last gift.. We came back, Scott packed the car and then I said a tearful good bye to Fink (the next time we were to meet, would be at the end of the aisle, before taking our vows). Scott drove me to dirking, collected the suits, whilst Fink stayed at home writing his speech ... then he dropped me at my parents, whilst he went off to finish his best man duties (get the car washed etc)... At mums/dads you could feel the anticipation, similar to when you were young child on Christmas eve, waiting for Christmas day when you get to wear your best clothes and yet your parents are all calm (even if they don’t feel it, you would never know!) Dad pottered around making sure the driveway looked good, and mum made the finishing touches to the most incredibly spotless house you have ever seen (photographer arriving the following day). An old school friend stopped by for a chat and then came in with her husband and baby for a coffee.. and since they were also coming to the wedding we chatted about hair, outfits and the fact her son had to wait until the following day before he wore his new coat!

As time ticked on, Charlotte arrived for the pampering... a manicure and pedicure for me, manicure and false nails for mum and not to leave dad out – a man’s manicure for him! By 8.00 all was finished, a quick dinner of jacket potato and salad, then I went to bed at 9.00 – in my old room (which had been decorated) for the all important beauty sleep..... ZZZZZ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I woke up at about 4am – with dad getting a drink, then slept through till 7 – when Dad got up to take his bathroom slot... When I came down the stairs, I didn’t feel nervous, anxious or even stressed.... just happier than I’ve ever been in my life and unable to stop smiling!

As I’m typing this, I have a lump in my throat as it brings so many memories into my head.. I know I’ll be shedding a tear tomorrow when I see Gayle in all her beauty, and then when they say their vows. Having been together for 8 years, lots of people said being married would not be any different, however I have to disagree. Being married isn’t easy, you have to constantly work at it, but when you make you promises to each other and declare your vows in front of your friends, family, the church and then with the exchange of rings, you know it’s for keeps, and you get a warm, glowing feeling of contentment knowing that no matter what happens, you’ve got each other. .. Forever..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful, and I couldn't agree more. People who say it doesn't change anything are obviously doing it wrong! It does!And it is the most incredible feeling - the start of your own little family unit. You know you are in it together; a great team. :-)

Flyingpops said...

Ahh thanks Sarah...

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written! Off to get a hankie.....