30 October, 2007

Birley Salt Beef, Canary Wharf - review

Birley Salt Beef #1
I've only been here a few days but I'm *still* coming out of the wrong entrances, the place is so huge, and I've played so many complex "run and gun" games over *all* the systems over all these happy years that I really should be completely *flawless* at finding my way from "here" to "there" in totally unfamiliar 3d environments (even on my first or second run)...so rather than be a little baffled by my lack of orientation, I'm personally blaming it on several factors -
  1. Much of it looks the same (and I got lost (from time to time) in Turok (and before that Hexen) which both had woefully few textures too) and the environment one must initially encompass is frankly huge...
  2. You have to move between both over and under ground to make the various waypoints required for the careful commute, so landmarks are often initially awkward and occasionally appear from unexpected angles...
  3. Every time you accidentally make a wrong turn, annoyingly, more tempting shops appear..!
- anyway, for lunch, I couldn't resist the Birley Sandwich store (very close to base, and I knew the way), and my goodness did they do a good job -
Birley Salt Beef #2
- aspect aside, as it's a little hard to improve on the New York variety, but this was perfectly as generous, a thousand times as exciting (thanks to the positively nose-popping mustard dressing) and the perfectly flavoured gherkin (although imperfectly sliced) that sat alongside....It looked completely amazing, and the queue vanished in almost no time at all...and the cost was about the same as the now obviously super lame Ixxys....

It was (unfortunately) already rather cold by the time I found my seat by the smokers near the entrance to the tube station, but it had lost *none* of it's charm from the short walk...

*Wonderful*... ;)

Tomorrow I'll try and shoot the view out the window, sounds like I'm allowed... ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

would a tomtom work or would you just like a compass to help you find your way..... sure you'll soon find your way around.... street cred has been great since you changed jobs though.... he he... well done very proud of you..... X

Unknown said...

Hehe, thanks Vodqueen! Unfortunately not even the mobile works once you get a certain way underground, Tomtom would have no chance...just have to rely on learning the twists and turns by repetition... ;) Already getting better... ;)