07 April, 2007

The Three Tuns Inn - New Forest - review

New Forest Mini Break #15
- so, a welcome to the "Three Tuns Inn", unbeknownst to us upon arrival at the aforementioned campsite, to be an "Egon Ronay" recommended "Gastropub", Flyingpops spotted the sign, and thence we were, oh ho(!), looking forward to a real treat -
New Forest Mini Break #20
- the venue was wonderful, very rustic and in keeping with the rural surrounds, unpretentious, dog friendly, and (thankfully) genuinely human friendly too -
New Forest Mini Break #16
- I struggled with the menu (for good reasons), I really wanted the fillet steak, but it was a little on the expensive side, so I went for the fillet burger at a very reasonable £8.95 -
New Forest Mini Break #17
- and (my goodness) did it fullfill my every expectation - not just a burger bun, or even ciabatta - it came served upon a freshly baked crusty herb bread roll (still steaming!), the succulent pink meat topped with drizzled cheddar cheese and a sweet red onion and cranberry relish, a fresh and equally sweet tomato salsa and a slice of crispy bacon tucked down below...each mouthful was a tearful revelation as to what a burger should be...Bravo...it was inevitable, therefore, that on night two, it would be a repeat performance...upon arrival, politely advised that a large table may be arriving soon, we took to our seats 20 minutes or so earlier than the evening before, and this time I opted for the sirloin - the presentation was as immaculate as the evening before, the meat, sweet and succulent again, and quite perfectly cooked, the plate streaked with a balsamic reduction as sweet and sticky as molasses - as we went to pay, I called a waitress over and told her that each time we had come here, the staff had quite literally knocked the ball right out of the park -
New Forest Mini Break #18
- but I beg you, please, don't crowd out my new favourite restaurant, leave me a table somewhere... ;)

No comments: