13 December, 2005

Hemel Hempstead explosion

6.00am on Sunday I was woken up by what I *thought* was someone trying to shoulder barge their way in the front door (we are about 50 miles away from the site of the blast), I was just drifting off to sleep again, when I heard what I *thought* was the roof subsiding (being half asleep)...didn't think anything more of it until I was speaking to some of the kids outside on Sunday afternoon and they told me that their dad had come rushing into their room in the early hours thinking one of them had fallen out of their bunk bed! That was one hell of a bang!

Update - can you believe this picture (not mine, see the flickr set here)? Click it for the original size...
Click for a larger image...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the black cloud drifting over your part of the world?

Unknown said...

Yep, we got a bit of it, and a funny smell...yik...

Didn't really see too much of it in the city today though, but it was pretty cloudy anyway...

Watching out for black rain...

Unknown said...

We get used to bangs down here because of the proximity to Aldershot (at least I think thats where they come from lol). Didn't hear that one cos I'd been awake nearly all night and had not long dropped off.

Unknown said...

Apparently it registered 2.4 on the Richter magnitude scale when it went off! There's an article in the Sun today, one of the Lorry drivers recons he set it off by accident when he turned the cutoff switch...